Monday, February 1, 2016

Past Continuous

I love to say that grammar is easy. 
I hope this article on Past Continuous will prove it to you.
As usual I will cover formation, usage with examples.

Formation

As you can see, we use the familiar verb 'to be' (its past forms) and verb with ending -ing.

Key information on Pest Continuous formation:



  • remember about sentence structure: subject + predicate (e.g. I was reading);
  • past forms of the verb 'to be' - was and were.
    It carries out  only grammatical meaning. 
  • We use verbs with -ing ending: reading, playing.It conveys the meaning of the process.
    It shows what was happening.

Usage

Past Continuous has four possible usages:
  • action in the middle of happening at a stated past time:

This time last week I was traveling across Africa.
  •  two or more simultaneous past actions of certain duration:
I was washing up while he was cooking the dinner.
  • background description to events in  story:

She was walking alone the river...
  • past action in progress interrupted by another past action:
I was reading a newspaper when the telephone rang.

Time expressions

while, as, the moment that, etc.


Thank you for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
'Everything you do has some effect, some impact'

Instagram

Instagram

Contact Form